Wireguard & hw flow offload incompatibility

Jaap Buurman jaapbuurman at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:26:34 CEST 2018

Dear Jason,

The initial technical explanation unfortunately went over my head,
since I am not that technical myself. But I will do my best to provide
the required information. First of all, sorry for the confusion that I
may have caused, but this happens with both the hardware version of
the flow offload implementation and the software version, so it
doesn't seem to be caused by any vendor specific (hardware) logic. So
it is probably easier to focus on the software version for now. Also,
in case that wasn't fully clear, both the flow offloading feature and
the wireguard interface are both running on the router itself.

What exactly do you mean with the kernel source of these boxes? As far
as I understand, Lede/OpenWRT uses the upstream 4.14 kernel in this
build (4.14.43 in the one I am running atm) with Lede/OpenWRT specific
patches. The patches that enable flow offloading support for the 4.14
kernel can be found in these 2 folders:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/tree/openwrt-18.06/target/linux/generic/backport-4.14
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/tree/openwrt-18.06/target/linux/generic/pending-4.14

One important thing is that the upstream flow offloading code uses
nftables, while Lede/OpenWRT uses iptables. Hence flow offload support
has been backported to iptables, which also might be a contribution to
this bug.

I'm not even sure what dst entries are exactly, but I found one patch
that is supposed to fix dst entries. Perhaps it is incomplete or
contains a bug?:
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/commit/c89e338fe68fd5af61b80ef37c55a657721c6542

I will try to cross-compile wireguard with your suggested patch
tomorrow or the day after tomorrow depending on my time schedule. I
will report back whether it solves this issue. Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely,

Jaap Buurman