Tunnels not coming up on reboot

Erik Jerde erik at jerde.org
Fri Apr 19 04:07:41 CEST 2019

I’ve got two VMs running Ubuntu 18.10 with wireguard 0.0.20190406-wg1~cosmic installed.  I’ve enabled the Wireguard interface to come up with the systemctl enable wg-quick at wg0.service on both systems.  The interface goes up and down as expected when using the systemctl start and stop commands.  My problem is that when either of the VMs are rebooted the tunnels do not come back up.  The WG command shows that the interface is up but there’s no handshake/transfer/etc.  On the system that was rebooted if I issue a systemctl stop then start command the tunnel comes right up and performs as expected.

I’m pretty green with systemctl but this reminds me of problems I’ve seen with other daemons that didn’t have all of their needs being met before they started.  In the old days of init.d I could fix this but now I’m kinda stuck.  My .service file is showing After=network-online.target nss-lookup.target and Wants=network-online.target nss-lookup.target.  Is there something more that should be in there?  Any ideas of what else might be causing the tunnel to not come up?

Thanks!
Erik