Hyper-V 2019: unable to create wintun device: no interfaces found

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sun Aug 25 17:54:03 CEST 2019

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 9:34 AM Joachim Lindenberg
<wireguard at lindenberg.one> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using Wireguard for quite some time on Ubuntu, and am now trying to use it on Hyper-V 2019 as well. My goal is to set up a VPN between two Hyper-V systems and allow connections between the virtual machines hosted (including Samba AD DCs).
>
> I downloaded and installed Wireguard for Windows, and created a tunnel configuration on server and client. However when I try to activate any of these, I get the message “Unable to create Wintun device: no interfaces found” on both sides.
>
> To me it doesn´t look  like an issue with the configuration but more likely WinTun is missing (tried to download separately, but as it is a .msm I assume that is included in wireguard installation) or does not work with Hyper-V 2019.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks, Joachim

Interesting. We just reworked the Wintun installation process, to
hopefully make it more reliable. Could you try again, and perhaps
provide a bit of logging too?

Try running this:

msiexec /log send-to-jason-please.txt /i
https://download.wireguard.com/windows-client/wireguard-amd64-0.0.22.msi