Hyper-V 2019: unable to create wintun device: no interfaces found

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sun Aug 25 20:35:30 CEST 2019

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 11:23 AM Joachim Lindenberg
<wireguard at lindenberg.one> wrote:
> my experiments were actually roughly three weeks ago with versions .18 and .19, and that mail was somehow stuck..
> Just retried with .22, and the good news is that I was able to set up a tunnel between a Hyper-V as a server and a windows client. The old error on wintun is gone.

Good to hear.

> trick wireguard to work around the dynamic IP issue most Germans face. With the Ubuntu vms I can ping the server from the client, and if it is unreachable I am pulling down the interface and then up again.

Not sure I understand exactly. Is the goal to simply
change/re-randomize your listen-port due to some weird quirks of your
router's NAT table, in which case `wg set wg0 listen-port 0` will
probably work better than down/up? Or is this actually a case where
adding PersistentKeepalive=25 could fix things? Both of these options,
anyhow, are available in the Windows client. wg.exe is installed into
system32 and works as expected.