[Feature Request] Add ability to exclude subnets from AllowedIPs

Ivan Labáth labawi-wg at matrix-dream.net
Mon Aug 26 19:48:47 CEST 2019

Hello,

please note two separate steps with regards to wireguard routing.

1) kernel routing table (and iptables, policy routing, xfrm etc)
2) wg peer IPs (routing table)

The first step (1) chooses which interface to use for a given packet.
If the chosen interface is a wireguard device, then step (2) is done
to choose the proper peer to send the packet to. The same is done in
reverse when accepting packets to prevent spoofing: in (2) - always,
in (1) - depending on configuration.

If you want to send packets outside the tunnel, you need to properly
setup (1). Setting (2) wg peer ips is mostly irrelevant (aside from
peers being permitted to originate packets from given ips, which, in some
setups would not be automatically dropped).

If you want to send packets to specific ips via a different peer
(e.g. one that can route Iranian ips), then you should assign those
ips to the different peer (2).

Basic routing, both in wireguard and kernel roting tables of most
operating systems, routes according to the most specific matching
route. Meaning, if you add a route to another peer/device, it is
automatically excluded from the less specific default one, and
under normal* circumstances, there is no need to explicitly exclude
them.

* if you are concerned about accidentally sending packets to undesired
peers, you should think about what happens before the device is up or
if it goes down (removing routes) or if the peer is removed (again,
removing routes) or similar circumstances.
For kernel routing, firewall is your friend. For wireguard .. I guess
explicitly excluding ips would be prudent.

Regards,
Ivan