[ANNOUNCE] OPNsense 19.7 supports WireGuard

Alex Davies alex at davz.net
Wed Aug 28 21:08:13 CEST 2019

This is great news. We have been using wireguard on OPNSense (mostly as
servers, but also as a client in a few places) in production for some time
now, without drama (we found one bug with a trivial workaround, see email
chain "Table=off behavior (not adding any route *at all*)" to this list).
We can now upgrade to something formally "supported" ;-)

If anybody else tries to use the hardware appliances provided by the
founders of OPNSense (Deciso[1]) as a wireguard server or client, we found
the performance on the non-x86 CPUs (A10, etc.) was not great (they have
all sorts of ipsec type offloads, but not for WG). IIRC we struggled to get
more than a few gigabits per second in aggregate. The Intel E3 models are
able to run as close to line rate on 10G as makes no odds for us.

[1]
https://www.deciso.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Brochure-OPNsense-appliances_ordered-rev201603.pdf