[ANNOUNCE] OPNsense 19.7 supports WireGuard

Muenz, Michael m.muenz at spam-fetish.org
Thu Aug 29 06:47:58 CEST 2019

Am 28.08.2019 um 21:08 schrieb Alex Davies:
> This is great news. We have been using wireguard on OPNSense (mostly
> as servers, but also as a client in a few places) in production for
> some time now, without drama (we found one bug with a trivial
> workaround, see email chain "Table=off behavior (not adding any route
> *at all*)" to this list). We can now upgrade to something formally
> "supported" ;-)
>
> If anybody else tries to use the hardware appliances provided by the
> founders of OPNSense (Deciso[1]) as a wireguard server or client, we
> found the performance on the non-x86 CPUs (A10, etc.) was not great
> (they have all sorts of ipsec type offloads, but not for WG). IIRC we
> struggled to get more than a few gigabits per second in aggregate. The
> Intel E3 models are able to run as close to line rate on 10G as makes
> no odds for us.
>
> [1]
> https://www.deciso.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Brochure-OPNsense-appliances_ordered-rev201603.pdf

The gateway code in OPNsense 19.7 changed, so it was only possible to do
PBR with 19.1.X.

With the last update of 19.7.3 I updated the plugin to add gateway
support so it works with PostUp and PostDown. As usual in Open Source it
lacks documentation yet. :)

https://github.com/opnsense/plugins/pull/1443

I did some quick iperf tests in a 10G lab last year (old Xeon E3):

https://www.routerperformance.net/comparing-opnsense-vpn-performance/

Best,

Michael