Dealing with large number of IPv4 clients

David Weinberger cubicalpie at protonmail.com
Thu Mar 21 13:35:05 CET 2019

Dear wireguard team,

We are a VPN service provider trying to offer wireguard to our customers.

Given the large user base, we plan to lease IPs automatically using a custom upper layer service before users can connect, but we can not seems to find a proper opportunity to reclaim those IPs. Once allocated, it seems wireguard assumes the client can use the IP forever, since there is no explicit disconnection.

What's the proper way to deal with large number of IPv4 clients?

(We're aware of the wg-dynamic project, but it seems it's IPv6 only.)

Regards.