Multiple VPN connections on Android

mikma.wg at lists.m7n.se mikma.wg at lists.m7n.se
Tue Mar 26 20:35:17 CET 2019

On 2019-03-26 15:17, Julian Orth wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm currently using WireGuard on Android for two purposes:
>
> 1. Routing all traffic via a commercial VPN provider to protect myself on
>     open wireless networks.
> 2. Connecting to my home network.
>
> Unfortunately WireGuard on Android does not allow me to do both of these
> things at the same time. I assume this is because VpnService [1] only allows 1
> VPN connection at a time.

Can't you add the peer for your home network to the same configuration
(tun device) as the peer for the commercial VPN provider? It seems a
straight forward solution to me if you are okay with the IP addresses
assigned by the VPN provider.

> Has any thought been put into emulating multiple tun devices in user space?

I don't see why you would need multiple tun devices. It is possible to
add multiple IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to the tun device, but there may be
a problem with the source address selection. Linux allows specifying a
preferred address for each route, but it isn't possible in the Android
API AFAIK. If you have a rooted device then you can potentially update
the routing tables with the preferred source address for each VPN route.

/Mikma