Connection loss on Apple devices when switching between Access points with same network name

Mario Melzer zargoras at me.com
Tue Oct 15 09:04:28 CEST 2019

I still ran into trouble when switching between Access points with the same network name.

Occurs on macOS and iOS independent of the software Version (still on the latest releases 13.1.2 and 10.15 and the recently published updates for Wireguard 0.0.20191012-14 and 0.0.20191012 on Lentos 7 & 8)

When I connect to device 1 I have an internet connection, now if my device seamlessly connects to to device 2 (so meanwhile didn’t connect to mobile Network) I loose my internet connection and I get the following message in the logs:

Handshake did not complete after 5 seconds, retrying

Switching back to device 1 brings back the internet connection.

To get an internet connection on device 2 is only possible by disabling and reenabling the VPN connection, or being connected to mobile network between both connections.

It even occurs if all access points are the same hardware like in a mesh network of Speed Home WiFi from Deutsche Telekom.

 There already should have been a fix with https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-apple/commit/?id=996af4b97de85c17b7157dd5610830536c4e3e29 <https://git.zx2c4.com/wireguard-apple/commit/?id=996af4b97de85c17b7157dd5610830536c4e3e29>

But it didn’t solve my problem, and I didn’t hear back after this.

There is no difference in the logs to those I already send to team at wireguard.com <mailto:team at wireguard.com>

If there is anything specific I could provide, please let me know.