Migrating From Ubuntu PPA to Real Ubuntu Packages

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Mon Aug 3 13:42:31 CEST 2020

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 12:36 PM Jasper Knockaert <jasper at knockaert.nl> wrote:
> Well, I think there is a case to manually install wireguard-tools where
> you want to run wireguard in a container. In that case you may want to
> install wireguard-dkms on the host (in case its kernel doesn't yet
> support wireguard), and wireguard-tools in the container.

That's a good point. There are all sorts of unusual cases where one
_might_ want to select individual packages instead of the meta
package. But if you don't know what you're doing, `sudo apt install
wireguard` is the mnemonic most people probably want. And for the
purposes of transitioning away from the PPA, that probably has the
least friction. But you're right: containerization is one instance in
which the meta package might not be desired.