Migrating From Ubuntu PPA to Real Ubuntu Packages

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Mon Aug 3 23:18:38 CEST 2020

On Mon, Aug 03, 2020 at 06:08:56PM +0200, NoddingDog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to report a serious problem.
>
> I have a Dell XPS13 with Dell's OEM version of Ubuntu 18.04
>
> I had previously added the wireguard PPA and removed it as mentioned
> below.
>
> Now, when running sudo apt install wireguard, the system wants to
> install the following packages:
>
> linux-image-5.3.0-1032-gke
> linux-image-gke-5.3
> wireguard-tools

Yes, this is primarily a bug in the Depends on the wireguard package:

    Depends: wireguard-modules (>= 0.0.20191219) | wireguard-dkms (>=
        0.0.20200121-2), wireguard-tools (>= 1.0.20200513-1)

The linux-oem kernel has (separatly) a bug in its Provides so it does
not think it contains wireguard.ko.  In that scenario we want the apt
resolver to pick wireguard-dkms as at least that way you have a
wireguard.ko.  But the way it is formed it will pick wireguard-modules
for installation if neither is installed already.  This can only be
solved by installing an unrelated kernel.

Am working on solving these problems variously.

-apw