wireguard looses internet connection intermittently.

Kunal Shah kunalv.shah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 15:52:33 CET 2020

Hello All,

Just started with wireguard and installation went smoothly. I am planning
to setup wireguard on gcp linux server and connect my ubuntu laptop to use
GCP server as vpn server. Primary requirement is to use GCP server as vpn
server while traveling.

I have got partial success with my setup. I am able to browse few sites and
not able to browse few more. They are very popular sites. For example, I am
able to go to www.yahoo.com but gmail.google.com I get error message that
site took too long to respond.

I have opened udp port 51840 inbound to my GCP server.

My client side (ubuntu laptop)

[Interface]
PrivateKey = <ubuntu laptop privkey>
Address = 192.168.1.2
DNS = 8.8.8.8
[Peer]
PublicKey = <gcp server pubkey>ystemctl start wg-quick at wg0
Endpoint = <gcp server's public ip>:51840
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0

PersistentKeepalive = 25

My server (GCP)

[Interface]
Address = 192.168.1.1
SaveConfig = true
PostUp = iptables -A FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -A FORWARD -o %i -j
ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ens4 -j MASQUERADE
PostDown = iptables -D FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -D FORWARD -o %i
-j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o ens4 -j MASQUERADE
ListenPort = 51840
PrivateKey = <gcp server priv key>

[Peer]
PublicKey = <ubuntu laptop public key>
AllowedIPs = 192.168.1.2/32

with this configuration if I start wireguard on both system using systemctl
start wg-quick at wg0 , I am able to ping 192.168.1.1 from 192.168.1.2 without
any packet drop. However, if I browse through chrome or firefox, for few
sites it gives me error like site took too long to respond. On the same
browser if I try few more sites, they work. Same time when it does not work
from browser, if I ping the site, I get the dns resolved and response for
the ping.

I am not able to troubleshoot further., Are there any other logs I can
refer to? Any idea what could have gone wrong? Has anyone faced this issue
before?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Kunal Shah