Tunnel traffic in VRF

b13253 at gmail.com b13253 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 17:03:33 CET 2020

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 10:10 PM Daniele Orlandi <daniele at orlandi.com> wrote:

> On 25/01/2020 07:55, Steven Honson wrote:
> > Hi Daniele,
> >
> > By VRFs, do you mean Linux network namespaces, or something different?
>
> They are a different feature. In short VRFs are separate routing tables
> to provide routing isolation. They are somewhat different with respect
> to namespaces as the isolation is visible to userspace.

Hi Daniele,

VRF is different from network namespaces.

I have collected some materials about the VRF implementation of Linux:
- https://schd.ws/hosted_files/ossna2017/fe/vrf-tutorial-oss.pdf
(Slides introducing VRF)
- https://cumulusnetworks.com/blog/vrf-for-linux/ (Article describing
the differences among VRF, ip rule, and namespace)
Hope they help.

Best regards,
StarBrilliant