Adding comments for a peer through wg set

Barry barry at barrys-emacs.org
Tue Mar 17 19:18:12 CET 2020

> Hi,
>
> When adding a new peer through `wg set', it seems like there is no way
> to include comments in the parameters. To solve this, the hack I use
> involves making sure SaveConfig is set in wg0.conf, adding the peer,
> `wg-quick save' and then appending the desired comment to the end of the
> wg0.conf file. This helps me add the peer without taking down the tunnel
> and also saves it to the config.
>
> Is there a better way? Note that I tried adding the comments to the
> different parameters (using "#") but it didn't work as expected.
>
> What's the reason for adding comments? So as to keep some notes about
> the peer I added, like "[Peer] ... # laptop config". So if there is a
> better solution for key management, please do share.

My solution to this problem is to maintain my own files and generate
the server wg0.conf from them. I also generate the clients wg0.conf
from the same data. I manage the allocation of IP addresses automatically.

Then the things that you are using comments for can be key/value
pairs in thoses files. For example I have a friendly name for each peer.

Barry