Shouldn't devices tethered to a device using Wireguard share the same IP?

Harsh Shandilya me at msfjarvis.dev
Wed May 20 19:53:00 CEST 2020

On May 20 2020, at 10:57 pm, Jose Marinez <jedi_papi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Can you tell me if this is working as it should?...
>
> I have a phone with Wireguard on. I share the connection via
> tethering/hotspot. When I check the IP on the tethered device I don't
> see the same IP as my Wireguard endpoint. What I do see is an IP from
> the phone's mobile network, the one running Wireguard.
>
> Is this right? Does this mean that traffic from that tethered device
> not using the Wireguard connection? I'm confused.
>

> Thanks,
> Jose

At least on Android, tethering data is *not* routed through your VPN. If
you want that to happen, you will have to use the WireGuard kernel
module which requires a rooted device and a custom kernel. On some
supported devices
(https://github.com/WireGuard/android-wireguard-module-builder/tree/master/kernels)
you can use root access to install the required module automatically
through the app, on your stock kernel.

Harsh