Should we sunset Windows 7 support?

Andrew Fried afried at spamteq.com
Tue Nov 10 18:38:19 CET 2020

We recently began deploying clusters of recursive DNS "firewalls" that
use wireguard to secure and authenticate all traffic between the client
and servers.   What we quickly learned was that virtually the entire
customer base in India uses Windows 7 almost exclusively.

I can certainly understand the desire to streamline development and
focus on current versions of client operating systems, but by
deprecating support for Windows 7 you would be reducing the number of
potential Wireguard deployments by hundreds of millions of users,
particularly in Asian and underpopulated communities in Africa.  Most of
the end users there simply can't afford the cost of updating to the
latest version of Windows.  I personally wish this were not the case,
but it is what it is.

Andrew

--
Andrew Fried