Should we sunset Windows 7 support?

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Thu Nov 12 09:38:28 CET 2020

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 9:29 AM Andrew Fried <afried at spamteq.com> wrote:

> We recently began deploying clusters of recursive DNS "firewalls" that
> use wireguard to secure and authenticate all traffic between the client
> and servers.   What we quickly learned was that virtually the entire
> customer base in India uses Windows 7 almost exclusively.
>
> I can certainly understand the desire to streamline development and
> focus on current versions of client operating systems, but by
> deprecating support for Windows 7 you would be reducing the number of
> potential Wireguard deployments by hundreds of millions of users,
> particularly in Asian and underpopulated communities in Africa.  Most of
> the end users there simply can't afford the cost of updating to the
> latest version of Windows.  I personally wish this were not the case,
> but it is what it is.

Thanks for that info. This is by far the most compelling point brought
up so far and is one likely to keep us supporting Windows 7 for some
time. I assume your deployment to those parts of the world is quite
large?

Are there any websites or other sources you used to find these
statistics about usage per region? It sounds like that'd be useful to
look at.