Using WireGuard on Windows as non-admin - proper solution?

Patrick Fogarty patrick at patanne.com
Fri Nov 20 14:10:02 CET 2020

Jason

That method has the challenge of having to get a static configuration
correct at the time of provisioning. A perfect example of when that
won't work is during COVID. We have had client offices shut down,
requiring us to migrate the VPN endpoint to a different office of the
client. A machine in the field needs different configurations at that point.

You mentioned in a previous email you do not like the idea of allowing
users to be able to change default routes. That was the reasoning behind
requiring admin rights. Extremely valid point. With tools we have
written in-house for matters unrelated to WireGuard we write them so
config files cannot be loaded unless they are digitally signed with
approved certificates, thereby allowing non-admins the ability to apply
configuration files while on the road beyond our reach. It constrains
what the user can do to what we distribute. The theory is, if we do our
job correctly the user cannot hurt themselves. So far so good.

Patrick Fogarty