Continued use of `wg-quick save` and SaveConfig=true?

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Sat Jan 2 15:37:09 CET 2021

Hi,

I was thinking recently that most people have switched from a model of
updating the runtime configuration and then reading that back into a
config file, to editing the config file and then syncing that with the
runtime config. In other words, people have moved from doing:

# wg set wg0 peer ... allowed-ips ...
# wg-quick save wg0

To doing:

# vim /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
# wg syncconf wg0 <(wg-quick strip wg0)

I think this is mostly a positive change too in terms of reliability.
Reading back the runtime configuration was always a bit hit or miss,
and I suspect that more times than not people have been confused by
SaveConfig=true.

That raises the question: are there good uses left for SaveConfig=true
and `wg-quick save` that warrant keeping the feature around?
Temporarily caching a roamed endpoint IP, perhaps, but how helpful is
that?

I haven't thought too deeply about this in order to be wedded to one
outcome over the other yet, but seeing some confusion today, again, in
#wireguard over the feature made me wonder.

Any opinions on this? Any one on this list actively use this feature
and see replacements for it (e.g. syncconf) as clearly inferior?