Continued use of `wg-quick save` and SaveConfig=true?

Maarten de Vries maarten at de-vri.es
Mon Jan 4 17:16:24 CET 2021

On 03-01-2021 20:59, Chris Osicki wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 02, 2021 at 03:37:09PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was thinking recently that most people have switched from a model of
>> updating the runtime configuration and then reading that back into a
>> config file, to editing the config file and then syncing that with the
>> runtime config. In other words, people have moved from doing:
>>
>> # wg set wg0 peer ... allowed-ips ...
>> # wg-quick save wg0
>>
>> To doing:
>>
>> # vim /etc/wireguard/wg0.conf
>> # wg syncconf wg0 <(wg-quick strip wg0)
>>
>> I think this is mostly a positive change too in terms of reliability.
>> Reading back the runtime configuration was always a bit hit or miss,
>> and I suspect that more times than not people have been confused by
>> SaveConfig=true.
>>
>> That raises the question: are there good uses left for SaveConfig=true
>> and `wg-quick save` that warrant keeping the feature around?
>> Temporarily caching a roamed endpoint IP, perhaps, but how helpful is
>> that?
>>
>> I haven't thought too deeply about this in order to be wedded to one
>> outcome over the other yet, but seeing some confusion today, again, in
>> #wireguard over the feature made me wonder.
>>
>> Any opinions on this? Any one on this list actively use this feature
>> and see replacements for it (e.g. syncconf) as clearly inferior?
>>
>> Jason
> Hi Jason
>
> Being an old fashioned Unix admin, ~30 years spent in this job, I vote for the traditional way of doing it:
> change the config file and let the application reread it.
> I think the KISS principle is still valid ;-)

I totally agree. Reloading the config file is much nicer :)

I also don't need to save roaming endpoints. All WireGuard tunnels I use
have at-least one side with a fixed endpoint. And if that's not the case
I imagine you probably need a more complicated solution than wg-quick.

> Thanks for the excellent software, Jason!

I also totally agree with this. WireGuard has made my life a lot easier :)

Regards,

Maarten