Wireguard not available for CentOS Stream

Joe Doss joe at solidadmin.com
Tue Jan 5 18:35:27 UTC 2021

On 1/5/21 5:25 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Is Fedora a rolling release so to speak? I remember they used to call
> fedora the bleeding edge distro not really geared for production
> environments is that still accurate. I have only used it as a work
> station desktop with KDE installed.

It has a release about every 6 months [1], so I wouldn't call it a
rolling release. You can use DNF System Upgrade to move up to the next
release pretty easily with a bit of downtime.

I have used Fedora a lot in production and I find that it works great. I
don't consider it bleeding edge at all unless you run Fedora Rawhide
[2]. If you are looking for a rolling release Fedora, checkout Fedora
CoreOS [3], but that comes with some changes on how you use it since it
is a container-focused operating system.

The kernel that ships in Fedora has WireGuard included and the
wireguard-tools package is in the main repo. IMO if you want to use a
Red Hat variant of Linux with WireGuard, Fedora Server, Fedora Cloud
[4], or Fedora CoreOS are your best choices. I use Fedora Server at home
and Fedora CoreOS at work with WireGuard everyday.

Joe

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide
[3] https://getfedora.org/en/coreos?stream=stable