Removing WireGuard Support From FreeBSD Base

Nicolai nicolai-wireguard at chocolatine.org
Tue Mar 16 18:24:30 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:37:59AM -0600, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:

> Here's the technical background you asked for:
> - We found tons of issues with the original code base.
> - We spent a week rewriting that codebase.
> So here's the rationale:
> - Merging a week-old codebase into an operating system kernel is a bad idea.

Yeah, when I saw the recent sudden work to get WireGuard into FreeBSD
13, I was excited but also nervous since it's been in beta/RC for a
while, just a bit late to introduce important features.  I think the
current plan is sensible and will produce a result everyone likes.

> We probably can even offer prebuilts at some point for people who want
> to test out snapshots.

That's a great idea!  WireGuard is what finally got me to run
OpenBSD-current, so I could test the snaps.

Nicolai