wireguard-windows: Wireguard does not start a previously activated tunnel from time to time

Jan Petrischkeit jan.petrischkeit at hochschule-stralsund.de
Tue Sep 20 13:16:30 UTC 2022

Dear Wireguard Community,

I have the problem that Wireguard on some systems and there only from
time to time forgets to activate the tunnel at system startup.
Mainly this happens after an update of the wireguard client or changes
to the client config. If an admin then reactivates the tunnel, it will
(mostly) run on the following system starts.
My users have no way to disable the tunnel. At least in the past, but
the problem has come up so often now that I've started making the
LimitedOperatorGUI available to them to be able to activate the tunnel.

One user (Denis Brodbeck @ 2021-07-06 6:18 UTC) had already sent a mail
to this list about this problem (Title: "wireguard-windows: client
forgets after restart that there was an activated tunnel before and
won't activate said tunnel anymore"), my environment and experiences
pretty much match his descriptions.
However, I am fairly unexperienced with mailing lists, so I don't know
how to directly reply to that entry.

However, I have two systems so far where the tunnel never starts
automatically on boot. On these systems I noticed that Windows notes a
corresponding entry in the event viewer (translated from german to english):

Event 7023, ServiceControlManager: The service
"WireGuardTunnel$HOST-WG2" was terminated with the following error: The
requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

If I set the tunnel's service to Delayed Start, it works, but usually
only some time after the user logs in. It also works if I start the
service manually before Delayed Start becomes active.
If I don't set the startup type of the tunnel to "Delayed start", the
service entry for the tunnel disappears from the services list after the
next restart (and the error message in the event viewer).

Hope someone has some pointers on how to resolve this.

Cheers,
Jan Petrischkeit