wireguard-windows: Wireguard does not start a previously activated tunnel from time to time

Simon Rozman simon at rozman.si
Wed Sep 28 17:23:32 UTC 2022

Hi,

> Event 7023, ServiceControlManager: The service "WireGuardTunnel$HOST-
> WG2" was terminated with the following error: The requested name is valid,
> but no data of the requested type was found.

The error message you are mentioning is WSANO_DATA 11004 which is related to DNS resolution problems. Which is kind of expected early in the boot process when the Dnscache service is starting and/or Dhcp service might not yet configured the DNS.

I presume changing the Endpoint= lines of peers to contain IPs rather than hostnames could solve your problem.

See if it helps.

If you can confirm it, maybe we can add some retry on WSANO_DATA in the wireguard-windows. (Personally, I would avoid adding hard dependency on Dnscache and Dhcp services. As there are situations where they can be disabled, preventing the WireGuard tunnel service startup then.)

Regards,
Simon