reduce number of tags in log/summary view

Radha Mohan mohun106 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:55:40 CEST 2016

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 4:35 AM, John Keeping <john at keeping.me.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 10:10:42PM -0700, Radha Mohan wrote:
>> I am looking for an option (if any) in cgitrc that can reduce the
>> number for tags of branch shown in log view or summary view.
>>
>> I have a situation where a branch is tagged by our automatic build
>> systems. If on some branch the commit doesn't move ahead the web view
>> makes it clumsy. We have to scroll horizontally to see the full info
>> as all the tags occupy the space in a single line.
>>
>> If an option exists that can control the number of tags in this kind
>> of situation that would be helpful.
>
> The only option that affects this at the moment is the
> enable-remote-branches setting, which defaults to false.  It doesn't
> sound like you have remote branches, so I don't think that will help.
>
> What does your ideal end result look like?  How should we choose which
> refs to drop, and where can users find the dropped refs?

My situation is exactly similar to what Konstantin pointed. Pasting his link
https://source.codeaurora.org/quic/la/platform/external/chromium_org/log/?h=LA.AF.1.1.1

If you hover over the first log, there are about 8 tags and 5 branch
points at the HEAD. Without the css trick that Konstantin is using the
page will be long horizontally which is clumsy.

So if we can do this:
1) Give an option to limit the entries (tag and branch name combined)
2) Add a tooltip kind of icon (like ">>") beside each tags and
branches separately when the limit specified in 1 above is reached.
Put the extra/old ones under this, just like in the CSS trick.

Maybe there are other options to do this. Mine is just a idea to
reduce clumsiness of the web view. People shouldn't turn away from
cgit due to this :)