Development Flow Improvements

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Wed Sep 28 01:27:38 CEST 2016

Hi Jamie,

I won't force commit on master, obviously (well, I've violated this in
the past, but don't intend to in the future). But I'd likely rebase
for-jason branches when merging if that makes the merge strategy
easier. The for-jason branches will be ephemeral; after I merge to
master, they'll be deleted. Here's the output from this process I
carried out earlier today, to give a better impression.

Does that seem reasonable, or is there some common edge case I'm neglecting?

Regards,
Jason

zx2c4 at thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git pull
remote: Counting objects: 23, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (23/23), done.
>From ssh://git.zx2c4.com/cgit
* [new branch]      ch/css-highlight-table-rows ->
origin/ch/css-highlight-table-rows
* [new branch]      ch/for-jason                -> origin/ch/for-jason
* [new branch]      ch/git-2-10-0               -> origin/ch/git-2-10-0
zx2c4 at thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git checkout master
Switched to branch 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
zx2c4 at thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git merge origin/ch/for-jason
Updating ff9893a..11695a5
Fast-forward
Makefile    |  2 +-
cgit.c      |  2 +-
cgit.h      |  8 ++++----
git         |  2 +-
shared.c    | 28 ++++++++++++++--------------
ui-diff.c   | 74
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------------------------------
ui-diff.h   |  4 ++--
ui-log.c    |  2 +-
ui-ssdiff.c |  4 ++--
zx2c4 at thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git push
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To ssh://git.zx2c4.com/cgit
  ff9893a..11695a5  master -> master
zx2c4 at thinkpad ~/Projects/cgit $ git push origin :ch/for-jason
To ssh://git.zx2c4.com/cgit
- [deleted]         ch/for-jason