[pass] Concurrency issue with --clip

Philip Chase philipbchase at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 21:32:44 CET 2014

The more I think about the clipboard restore feature the less useful it
seems.

I get my old clipboard back, but not until 45-ish seconds after I use the
password.  What value on the clipboard is worth waiting 45-ish seconds for?
 If you need it you need it you probably don't want to wait 45 seconds to
get it back.  Wouldn't you just go copy that value again?

I just don't see the use case for the password restore.  I'd rather not
have the security liability.

Philip

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Jonas Wagner <j.b.w at gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think clearing the clipboard is a good idea. I would prefer one of the
> following options to the proposed --Clip, though:
>
> 1) simply replace the current --clip to clear the password instead of
> restoring them. Frankly, we do not need two command line flags that do
> almost the same.
>
> 2) If some more backward compatibility is desired, the new pass process
> (let's call it B) should detect an existing pass process (A) waiting to
> clear the clipboard. B could then send A a custom signal or so, causing it
> to reset the time limit to 45 seconds from now. B then terminates, and A
> resets the clipboard to the original value after 45 seconds.
>
> Option (1) is simpler, option (2) would be what I expect. Do people think
> it's worth the complexity?
>
> Cheers,
> Jonas
>

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Stephen Blott <smblott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:06:11AM -0400, Philip Chase wrote:
>>
>>> That seems completely reasonable.  I have never encountered another
>>> application that reverted the clipboard to a previous value, so I never
>>> expected pass to do it.
>>>
>> ---end quoted text---
>>
>> I rattled up a version of pass with "-C" and "--Clip" options (note
>> capitals), the same as "-c" and "--clip", except that the clipboard is not
>> cleared.
>>
>> Any interest?
>>
>> How does one submit PRs or patches to this project?
>>
>> Steve

Philip Chase * 352-575-0705 * Gainesville, FL