[pass] Windows use of "pass"?

Stephen Schoun stephen at schoun.net
Tue Sep 9 23:10:43 CEST 2014

Brad,

I have not tried Cygwin, I use Msysgit on Windows.  I am able to get
pass to work, but I had to edit the script myself because Msysgit
currently uses bash-3.1.0, and does not know how to handle regular
expressions using '=~' inside tests.  I also had to rewrite the 'clip'
functionality to get the clipboard to clear after 45 seconds.
Obviously, I am not able to easily upgrade my version of pass on Windows.

Pass requires the 'tree' program which can be downloaded from
<www.gnuwin32.sourceforge.net>, though it is an old version, tree-1.5.2,
and recent versions of pass require tree-1.7.0.

Even with my modifications to pass, I only use pass to *read* from my
password-store on Windows, I never do anything fancy. Unless you plan to
use Cygwin, or modify pass yourself, I would not recommend it on Windows.

Now, if pass was rewritten in python, there would be no problem.  :)

--Stephen