[Pull request] Shortcut feature

Thorsten Wißmann edu at thorsten-wissmann.de
Mon Mar 27 01:44:51 CEST 2017

Hi Ondrej,

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 04:34:06PM -0700, David A. wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 00:51:22 +0200, Ondrej Vaško wrote:
> >This commit introduces shortcut argument *-s* or *--shortcut* to *pass show
> >*command with which you can reference password not by full path, but by
> >number, which reference the specific gpg file in your password storage
> >directory.
>
> >After few days of thinking about an easy solution I decided to use an
> >*inode* as a reference shortcut
>
> If you're going to implement a shortcut option, it should really be
> something that makes referring to any entry easy and intuitive.
> Something like nicknames that are shorter and easy to remember. inodes
> are hardly that.

Even worse: inodes differ using pass on different machines.

David has indicated it already: In case one is looking for simple
shorthands for the frequently used pass files, one can create a symbolic
link with an descriptive name and add that to the git, e.g.:

  $ cd ${PASSWORD_STORE_DIR:-$HOME/.password-store}
  $ ln -sf mailinglists/password-store at lists.zx2c4.com.gpg passlist.gpg
  $ git add !$ ; git commit -m 'ln'
  $ pass show passlist

Best Regards,