[PhotoFloat] Spring cleaning (video, preloading, threading, updated JS-libraries, etc)

Dennis Ortsen dortsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 20:27:16 CEST 2015

> Op 6 okt. 2015, om 15:06 heeft Joachim Tingvold <joachim at tingvold.com> het volgende geschreven:
>
> On 5 Oct 2015, at 15:22, Dennis Ortsen wrote:
>> I've finally allowed myself to try out your patches Joachim. I've had some
>> hiccups along the way, some I've been able to fix, some not :-(
>
> Are there other hiccups other than those two (?) you mention below? (encoding adjustments and duplicate videos when next/previous).

Ehm, no I believe these are the ones :-)

>> I've found that these settings work better for my older movie files, from a
>> Canon Digital IXUS:
>
> Yeah, I guess there's no "one setting to rule them all" regarding encoding. At least not if you want to have decent encodings of newer videos. One could of course look into creating a "database" that gives different encoding for different camera models (based on EXIF-data), but it's not on the top of *my* todo-list (mostly because I only shoot videos with newer devices).

Off course, one has to start somewhere and obviously any starting point is a good starting point. I thought I’d share some different settings with the list so others might benefit from it.

>> [...] Instead, a second, or third, of fourth (depending on how much you select) medium sized preview appears. All
>> are playable at the same time. I thought the behavior would be similar as
>> to browsing/flipping through pictures. Does anybody recognize that? Perhaps a clue what to fix?
>
> Ah, yes, this issue. It's probably the most annoying one that I currently have. Happens only with movies, and regardless if you go next or previous (as long as the next/previous also is a movie). Whenever you hit a picture again, it's "reset", so this only happens if/when you have more than one movie in a row.

Ah, I haven’t even noticed this yet, I’ve got a bunch of folders with pictures, one with movies and a folder with a large amount of pictures and some movies. I haven’t come across this occasion yet :-)

> Haven't looked into it, but I guess it's a minor JavaScript-fix.

I’ve noticed that after selecting several movies, the medium sized previews add up, but when you reload the page in your browser (Safari/Firefox/Chrome on a Mac) all previously selected movies disappear (at least visibly, I’d guess also from the DOM tree). My JavaScript skills are very, very rusty (and that’s an understatement). In the upcoming autumn/winter time I might get some polish for JavaScript :-)