[WireGuard] Can WireGuard be adopted for older kernels?

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Tue Jul 5 00:10:51 CEST 2016

Hey Artyom,

I face the same problem as you. I have an Edge Router Lite, and I'd
really love to run WireGuard on it, but their proprietary kernel is
stuck at 3.10. Major bummer.

The current plan is to write a userspace version in Rust, that will be
cross platform and work well on old kernels. No timeline on that
though.

However, I did at one point run wireguard on really old kernels during
testing. That was before I started using the very nice udp_tunnel_*
library inside newer kernels, which then forced the dependency. But
when I did do this, it worked. Maybe I'll dust off the ugly old code
and hack something horrible together to work on old kernels. On the
other hand, this might not really be a great use of time... I don't
know.

What system are you trying to run it on? Maybe if it's the same as me,
we can both poke Ubnt together to upgrade their kernel...