Assigning addresses with avahi-autoipd

Christophe-Marie Duquesne chmd at chmd.fr
Tue Mar 6 16:40:54 CET 2018

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 5:04 AM, Reuben Martin <reuben.m.work at gmail.com> wrote:
> ARP is layer2. Wireguard is layer3. If you want ARP requests to propogate
> between the networks you will have to set up layer2 tunneling of some sort.

Ok, thanks a lot. The other VPN software I have used can also
transport layer2: openvpn has the bridge mode, tinc has the switch
mode. I was assuming wireguard had (or could aquire) this capability
as well. Are there reasons not to support this? I would like to have
your opinion.

> If you want multicast traffic to propogate, an IGMP / MLP proxy server would
> probably be the easiest solution.

Thank you for the advice, but then I think I will just hack something
with dnsmasq. The point of using mDNS was to avoid maintaining an
extra piece of software. The moment I setup an IGMP / MLP proxy, I
fail this goal, and at this point if I am going to set up something, I
would rather fall back to a DNS management tool.

Cheers,
Christophe-Marie