wireguard.ko on RHEL8

Joe Doss joe at solidadmin.com
Sun Apr 24 20:03:37 UTC 2022

Hey Steve,

On 4/24/22 1:16 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:

> Trying to install wireguard.ko on a RHEL8 vm (4.18.0-348.el8.x86_64)
> and I'm getting
>
>     wireguard: module verification failed: signature and/or required key
> missing - tainting kernel
>
> The entire error:
> http://pastebin.test.redhat.com/1046896
>
> is there anything at can be done about that?
>
> I'm new to wireguard and I'm pretty impress...
> It came up in both Fedora rawhide and an
> unreleased verson of RHEL9...
>
> We are trying to used it as our network in
> a community wide virtual NFS testing event
> called Bakeathon [1]
>
> Again I'm new to wireguard but not to kernels ;-)
> So if you could throw something at me to
> help me get over this bum... It would be appreciated!
>
> Note: I am not member of this list so please
> reply to be directly.

You have secure boot enabled, so you need to generate a MOK key pair,
manually sign your wireguard.ko, and enroll your MOK cert or disable
secure boot.

I use this script [1] to sign my NVIDIA drivers on my workstation after
they are built via akmod.

Hope this helps!
Joe

[1]: https://gist.github.com/jdoss/495e814ef4ef599e480c31d4843eb6c0