wireguard.ko on RHEL8

Steve Dickson steved at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 16:06:31 UTC 2022

Hey!

My apologies on my delayed response...

On 4/24/22 4:03 PM, Joe Doss wrote:
> Hey Steve,
>
> On 4/24/22 1:16 PM, Steve Dickson wrote:
>>
>> Trying to install wireguard.ko on a RHEL8 vm (4.18.0-348.el8.x86_64)
>> and I'm getting
>>
>>     wireguard: module verification failed: signature and/or required
>> key missing - tainting kernel
>>
>> The entire error:
>> http://pastebin.test.redhat.com/1046896
>>
>> is there anything at can be done about that?
>>
>> I'm new to wireguard and I'm pretty impress...
>> It came up in both Fedora rawhide and an
>> unreleased verson of RHEL9...
>>
>> We are trying to used it as our network in
>> a community wide virtual NFS testing event
>> called Bakeathon [1]
>>
>> Again I'm new to wireguard but not to kernels ;-)
>> So if you could throw something at me to
>> help me get over this bum... It would be appreciated!
>>
>> Note: I am not member of this list so please
>> reply to be directly.
>
> You have secure boot enabled, so you need to generate a MOK key pair,
> manually sign your wireguard.ko, and enroll your MOK cert or disable
> secure boot.
>
> I use this script [1] to sign my NVIDIA drivers on my workstation after
> they are built via akmod.
>
> Hope this helps!
> Joe
>
> [1]: https://gist.github.com/jdoss/495e814ef4ef599e480c31d4843eb6c0

Thanks for the pointer... but I ended doing something
different that worked very well...

1) I enabled the Fedora Infra Cloud repo which has
    the jdoss/wireguard repo
       dnf copr enable jdoss/wireguard

2) Then installed the  wireguard-dkms and  wireguard-tools
    packets which brought in the dkms command.
        dnf install wireguard-dkms wireguard-tools

3) Then I simply reboot and mdks compile the module and
    installed it... Very cool!

Thanks again!

steved.