CONFIG_ANDROID

tlhackque tlhackque at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 10:47:38 UTC 2022

FWIW: Having watched the discussion about CONFIG_ANDROID, it occurs to
me that there's an alternative for WireGuard that sidesteps the issue.

 From the last patcheset, it seems that the only use in WireGuard is to
avoid clearing keys on every wake-up.

So: Why not timestamp key-clear events, and establish a minimum interval?

It seems to me that this would make WireGuard tolerant of the peculiar
behavior of the Android (handheld) platforms, and expresses what
WireGuard needs - a minimum time between key clearing events.  It's also
completely under WireGuard's control, is platform agnostic, and avoids
an inevitable discussion about whether 2 seconds between wakeups is
immutable and satisfies everyone.  (If you wait long enough, every
constant eventually becomes a variable...)

Then WireGuard can watch the duststorm over CONFIG_ANDROID's fate settle
out at leisure.

I have no dog in this fight - just an observer.